Wat Indravihan is well-known for a huge standing Buddha image. Thai image of ''Buddhasiariyametriya'' also known as "Luang Pho To", is 32 metres tall (108.99 feet) and 10 metres and 24 inches wide (40.09 feet). This Buddhist monument was built during the reign of King Rama IV. The topknot of the Buddha image contains a relic of Lord Buddha brought from Sri Lanka.
Wat Intharavihan which was built in the end of Ayutthaya period, was firstly called "Wat Rai Phrik" as it was located among Chinese vegetable garden. In the reign of King Rama I, he moved his army to suppress the rebellion in Vientiane and led the royal family of Laos to settle down at Bangkhunphrom where was then called "Ban Laos". Chao Inthawong who came with this mission was the faithful Buddhist, he had been restored Wat Rai Phrik and named "Wat Intharam" afterwards changed to "Wat Indharavihan" in the reign of King Rama VI and used up to the present time.
In 1867, The reign of King Rama IV, Somdej Phra Buddhachan(To Phromarangsri of Wat Rakhang Kositharam) who was eighty years old, carried out the construction of the statue of "Luang Pho To". All Abutment of the statue was built by crossing the logs alternating with structural steel, but unfortunately, Somdej Phra Buddhachan died with fainting fit at midnight on Saturday 22 July 1872 at the hall for sermons in Wat Intharavihan, as the construction was only up to the naval. The construction which had been built for 60 years was continued by his favourite follower, Luang Pho Phu Chanthakesaro (Phra Khru Thamanukun) and finished in Luang Pho Ngoen's Time (Phra Intharasamachan) the reign of King Rama VII.
In 1964 and 1967 , their Majesties The King and The Queen with their son and daughters went to cover the Statue of Buddha at his Topknot and forehead with gold leaves. In 1978 H.R.H. The Crown Prince Vachiralongkorn on behalf of his majesty the King went to place The Buddha relics which was presented to Thai Government by Ceyloness Government, in the Topknot of Luang Pho To. In 1982 , Phra Khru Woraphattikhun, the late abbot, carried out the restoration of Luang Pho To, by decorating with 24 K golden mosaics from Italy, for The Rattanakosin Bicentennial Celebration.
Luang Pho To who could bless everyone all success, has miraculous power, especially if they vow that they will present a head of a fish of the mackerel kind, a boiled egg and a lei of flowers.
Located in Bangkhunphrom area on Wisutkrasat Road. The temple is open to the public every day. There is no admission fee.
For more information on Wat Indhara Vihan, visit "www.watindhara.org".
Copyright © 2000 - 2002 HelloSiam.com All rights reserved.